Sunday 4 January 2009

New Year - New Beginning

It's me - JR.

I retired from the NHS on New Year's Eve (2008/9) after 36 years 105 days (13,254 days!).
Imagine starting work and being told you only had another 13,253 days to go - and that's if you leave at 54, not 65 years old.
I was employed as a Biomedical Scientist in the Biochemistry Department of a Pathology Laboratory. I finished up as a Chief Biomedical Scientist in charge of my own department. Throughout my career I was privileged to work with some marvellous colleagues. The 'friends' I worked with made the job thoroughly enjoyable, until the last few years when the increasing paperwork and lack of staff really made the job miserable. The staff were still brilliant, but it was just no longer enjoyable. I used to be the envy of my friends as I was the only one who actually looked forward to going to work, and didn't really like taking holidays.

That's me. I'm not sure how this blog will go, but it gives me a reason for getting up in the morning, and after checking the obituary column in The Times, if my name's not there, I will get up.

No comments: