Thursday 15 March 2018

Retinal Detachment - Pre-Op Assessment

Addenbrookes Hospital:
Usual eye test (again) - Right eye good, I think I stumbled through the third line from the bottom of the chart. Left eye - "What's the lowest line you can read?" "I can't see anything" "No, start from the top" "I can't see the top" (Don't think she's grasping the situation). We then establish that I can just about make out the light from a pen torch shone directly in my eye.
Next to waiting room two. I see the nurse for eye drops to dilate the pupil and then wait to see the consultant. He's late. When I see him, he gives both eyes a thorough examination and diagnoses a small cataract in the right eye and a torn and completely detached retina in the left eye. He goes a bit quiet. "Come back tomorrow for an operation. We should be able to regain some useful sight in the left eye". He doesn't sound too optimistic.
Then to more nurses for a thorough medical history to be taken. Blood pressure - sky high. Next to the 'doctor' to see if I'm fit for surgery. All OK I think. Yes.
Now back to the main hospital for blood tests in one department and ECG in another. Blood test department very efficient but we are about one minute too late for the ECG department so that will have to wait until tomorrow morning...to be continued.

No comments: