Sunday 18 March 2018

Retinal Detachment - Operation Day!

Addenbrookes Hospital:
Back to the previously deserted ECG department first thing this morning. It was packed! We explained the situation to the receptionist and, despite her uttering hardly a word, my name was called next. The ECG took less than 10 minutes and, as the technician said, it was probably the quickest test I would ever have.
Now to the eye department. We checked in and were shown to our 'bay' where I had to get into the silly operation gown and then SWMBO and I wrestled with the anti-deep vein thrombosis stockings that I had to wear. Blood pressure had to be taken twice before being acceptable - just. The anaesthetist visited and then I had a final check with the consultant before returning to 'my' bay to await being called.
A delightful theatre nurse came to collect - and reassure me - and I headed for the operating theatre.
I was wired up and made comfortable before the anaesthetist uttered the usual, "Sharp scratch coming" as he inserted a huge cannula into my arm. I didn't feel a thing. He said he was injecting some special Cambridgeshire gin and tonic but before I had a chance to say that I didn't like gin and tonic, I was gone...
I was awoken after the planned one to one and a half hour operation, but the best guess is that it took two and a half hours.
Back to my bay to come round from it all, try to eat something and have a drink. Not easy.
No real discomfort, yet. Eventually I was discharged with tablets, five different eye drops with varying frequencies of application and length of treatment. Thank heavens for SWMBO.
Then...I was told about the polystyrene mask that I would have to use to enable me to be 'face down' for 12 hours a day for the next ten days. The words of the pre-assessment nurse echoed in my ears, "Don't worry it won't be 'face down' for 10 days". Bugger.
We left the hospital and SWMBO carefully drove me home only to return again tomorrow for post-op assessment the following afternoon...to be continued.

No comments: