This is Cumberland House which overlooks Redbourn Common.
The original entrance was from the High Street.
The house dates from 1743 when the Duke of Cumberland was victorious at the battle of Culloden.
The house was not the Duke's residence, but was used as his hunting lodge in which to entertain guests invited to hunt with him from his kennels on Dunstable Downs.
The house had stabling for 120 horses and the first floor was a banqueting hall.
This avenue of trees links Cumberland House with St.Mary's church in Church End.